Monday 10 November 2014

Cafe hopping and drinking coffee aside, the most exciting thing about coffee just took place last Saturday!

It's a Film About Coffee!

I was very excited when I knew about this screening. I got it because I thought this would be something that will make le bf very happy. 2ndly, after watching the trailer, I kinda confirm that le bf would love to watch this very much and I too love how the movie was directed and can't wait for the screening!

But then before the movie starts;
Each ticket sold at RM15, le bf actually commented,"lucky you got them for free. They cost even more than movie tickets at the cinema." I replied with a question,"when did I tell you I got them for free?"

(maybe because he thinks that I always get free stuff. haha)

I got a bit dumb founded by his comment because then, I don't know if le bf would now think I just wasted RM30 on a screening which he might not enjoy. In the end, was the money worth it?



I was actually a casual coffee drinker who only craves for Starbucks frap every now and then. It wasn't until I met le bf who is a true #coffeeaddict, or more precisely, a #longblackaddict. Long black was not a common thing I see people order back then or even now. However, he only usually goes for Gloria Jeans or Coffee Bean



It was the time when we started dating that independent cafes began to pop up around Klang Valley and coffee sells like hot cakes with the hype of #cafehopping. #Cafehopping became our weekend plans of #coffeedates. We began to savour different coffee from different independent cafes every weekend in the form of #longblack for him and #flatwhite for me.


However, back then, we would only differentiate the coffees by sour = acidic coffee / over-roasted = from the aroma / chocolatey. Just basic stuff like that. Very much a newbie, I know. Haha..

It was not until we finally paid a visit to Beans Depot which was recommended by a photographer friend, David, that we truly starts to understand about coffee. Still, it was just a little surface knowledge of coffee and there was much more to it. Anyhow, we were mesmerized about how much more we have learnt that day.


The visit to Beans Depot intrigued me to learn more about this mysterious drink which can defer one cup from the other in many ways.

It was not long after that, that I stumble across A Film About Coffee on my facebook feed. It got me excited as it promises more knowledge about coffee!


A film About Coffee is actually the latest documentary about coffee since the last one, Black Gold  was produced in 2006 which was some good 8 years ago!


It documents the revolution of coffee industry in a complete cycle from coffee farming in Hondarus and Rwanda to a complete cup of brewed coffee placed in front of customers.

If you are an avid shopper of items produced from the third world countries, you would be pretty familiar with the "Fair Trade" tag. At first, I thought it is something which was helping them a lot. However, during the screening, Fair Trade turned out to be something different from what I thought it actually was.


This film also tells of how specialty coffee came about and how it is slowly changing the people's perception to a good cup of coffee. The real aroma and taste of coffee can only be savoured from light and medium roasted coffee beans as dark roast usually covers up the originality and just leaves behind a bitter taste.

But then again, the process from the beginning where coffee cherries were plucked up to the moment when they were packed for shipment plays the biggest role in moulding the aroma and taste that the coffee beans give out.


Of course, before you can savour the perfect cup of coffee, coffee barista plays the last role in the preparation. How these coffee artist decide to prepare the cup of coffee is very individual. There is no right or wrong but only individuality preferences in their work.


Synopsis:
A Film About Coffee follows the production of coffee from farms in Honduras and harvests in Rwanda to its global consumption. Listening to farmers, buyers, roasters and baristas about the crop’s economic and environmental implications both locally and abroad, the narrative travels to coffee shops in Tokyo, Portland, Seattle, San Francisco and New York, with stops in between. Dropping in on artisanal cafes to investigate how each prepares its own unique cup, the film opens a window into the little-understood world of speciality coffee.


I hope that they will have a screening again so that more coffee enthusiast will be able to enjoy this documentary which I find very informational and inspirational.

website: http://afilmaboutcoffee.com 

P/s: le bf end up enjoying the documentary very much.

Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment