Friday 10 November 2017


It's time to check on my eye's condition again! I change my prescription glasses every 2 - 3 years because my myopia or rather, nearsightedness condition tend to fluctuate. So, it makes sense to get my eyes checked and wear the right pair of glasses for my eyes' health, right? But I do know some people tend to wear it for more than 5 years and never get their eyes checked because it does not feel like the eyes condition has changed. This could be due to our eyes getting used to the slow changes hence we usually do not feel anything a missed.

WARNING: this is going to be a very long read but is very useful for those looking to get a pair of prescription glasses!



To be honest, I never go back to the same optical shop more than once. Every time I change my prescription glasses, it is going to be another optical shop rather than the previous. One of the reason is that they either do not have trendy frames or that the frames are extremely expensive.

I remember that there was once I even went to Berjaya Times Square and bought those imitation RM20 frames and made my prescribed lenses fit into them. It was not because I was so cheapo but I just couldn't find a really nice frame which I like. I was so naive back then because I thought the frame would be just fine but it crack after a week. Yup, the quality was really bad because they used recycle plastic for the frame instead of quality plastic raisins.

Since then, I only buy from optical shops but the problem still persist. I could not find a really nice frame which fits my look or something trendy which would look nice on me instead of looking like a nerdy girl. :(


That was until the optical industry came to realise that they need to make trendy frames affordable and stop destroying people's look just because they have an eye sight issue. Just kidding. Haha..

Anyway, I'm really glad that the optical retail market is now coming out with more affordable trendy frames and glasses. One that really attracted my attention was Pott Glasses. I finally made a trip there last month for my routine eye check-up and got to say that I was overwhelmed.


Interesting to say that this visit feels a little different unlike any other that I've had in other optical stores.

The procedure was quite common as usual; I would go through a visual field test followed by the visual acuity test where I was asked to identify the smallest letters to test my reading distance and clarity.

Things got interesting at the explanation phase once I have gone through all the appropriate optical test. Everything was explained very thoroughly so that I would have full understanding of my eyes condition. The prefect visual acuity is 6/6 which are more commonly referred as vision 20/20 but mine has slightly drifted even with glasses on. Apparently it could be due to too much straining due to wearing contact lenses for a long hour. I know there's contact lenses for astigmatism but they are usually the clear type and less moist for me. 


During the glasses fitting, Hoong, Senior Optician from Pott Glasses  was really helpful as to recommend certain frames according to my requirement and suitability. My obvious would be something comfortable and something I could wear to events or outings because I have an eye condition where it dries up easily and also astigmatism which makes my vision less sharp when wearing normal contact lenses (without astigmatism assistance).

Truth to be told, I took quite sometime to finally decide on the frame which fits me and most importantly, which I really like. Got to say thanks a lot to Hoong and team for patiently accommodating my much indecisiveness! :D


When I finally decide on the frame, I thought that was it but I was wrong. There was one last step before the prescribed lenses was fitted into my chosen frame. My Pupillary Distance (PD) was measured and that was pretty much my first time going through this measurement or rather the first one that I was made aware of. The measurement was actually important as it was required to know where to fit the center of the lens on the glasses. This is important to assist our eyes to focus properly. 

I was made aware that my previous lens had been fitted wrongly which leads to my eyes getting strained easily. I'm really glad that this time I had Hoong to assist and go through the necessary test, fittings and thorough explanation with me.


Lastly, this is the first pair of glasses where I had Blue Light Coating on the lens for harmful blue light protection. You might not know about this but blue lights are everywhere; the sun, computer screen, smart phones, LED Tvs, and even fluorescent light and LED lights. Blue lights are very harmful to our eyes and can lead to cataracts and macular degeneration.

Macular degeneration is actually a very serious and incurable disease. It happens when the hind part condition of our eyes called macular began to deteriorate. Macula works like a film in a camera and when damaged, will have patches of dark spots or lost vision on what we see. The vision might even turn wavy and partially blurry. Scary indeed, right? Which I why I highly recommend everyone to get the Blue Light Coating if you face electronic screens a lot. Good news is, the upgraded coating technology does not show a blue reflection on the lens anymore. :)

More on computer glasses here.


A newly conducted study by École d’Optométrie from the University of Montreal found that:
  • Wearing a lens treated with a blue-light filter coating helped reduce symptoms of eyestrain by half during prolonged computer exposure. 2.42 symptoms before versus 1.47 symptoms with blue coating (p=0.04).
  • After wearing a lens treated with a blue-light filter coating, subjects with symptoms of eyestrain due to prolonged computer exposure felt a significant improvement of the following symptoms: dry eyes, sticky eyes, and the feeling of grittiness or "sand" in the eye.
  • They also reported a trend of the overall vision and improved visual performances in situations of low contrast.
Since I have received my pair of new glasses, my eyes doesn't seems to be worn out so easily anymore and I am more comfortable with having a pair of glasses on rather than opting for contact lenses most of the time. Love the trendy design and most importantly, comfortable and accomodates and helps my eyes condition to get better.

I have finally found an optical shop which won my confidence for the first time and actually trusted. Definitely recommended for anyone who is thinking to get their eyes checked / getting a new prescribed glasses / getting a new pair of sunglasses or just need some consultation advice! <3



Pott Glasses

FLAGSHIP STORE
a: No. 64, Jalan SS15/4, Ss 15, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor.
t: +603-5612 1967

h: 11:00am – 9:00pm

PJ SS2 STORE

a: 70, Jalan SS2/55, SS 2, 47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
t:  +603-7866 0070

Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment