Thursday, 18 August 2011




I heard of this HPV Vaccine since few years back when a gyne doctor introduced it to my mother who is at early her early 40s back then. She had told me to take my vaccine since then but I have never really bother about it. However, I do remember that there was a so called cut off date for this vaccine intake (to take it before age 27?). Hence, I saved up some money and decided to take the vaccine last weekend on 13th August 2011. I just browsed through the net for some information before I decide to take the vaccine as there was not much time for me to have a thorough understanding, or else I would have to delay my vaccine intake to later on due to scheduling issues.

I went to Klinik Wan Dan Keluarga 19-1,Jalan Damar SD15/1, Bandar Sri Damansara, 52200 Kuala Lumpur to get my Cervarix Vaccine after reading much from Dr. Wan's blog @ http://cervarix.blogspot.com and a few other short articles. He offers RM 165 for every Cervarix vaccine jab (which means the complete vaccination will only cost RM 495. You would have saved RM 165 in total compared to the market price)  as he mentioned that his purpose is to make it affordable to as my people as possible. Dr. Wan did mentioned that he been through many difficult moments when 3 close ones were diagnosed with cancer. When a friend and I visited his clinic, he answers and explain passionately about the Cervical Cancer and the vaccine.


Currently, there's two HPV vaccines in the market: Gardasil by Merck and Cervarix by GlaxoSMithKline;

Gardasil was the first vaccine that was produced. It protects against HPV-6 and HPV-11, that cause 90% of genital warts and also HPV-16 and HPV-18 that cause 70% of cervical cancers, and cause most HPV-induced genital and head and neck cancers (according to Wikipedia). The complete vaccination contains 3 dose, 2nd dose to be taken 1 month later and the 3rd dose to be taken 5 months after the 2nd dose. The market price for each Gardasil dose cost about RM 380.00 which means the complete vaccination will cost about RM1,140.00. (Drug info: http://drugster.info/drug/medicament/10451)









Source
Cervarix was the 2nd vaccine produced. This vaccine, however, only focus on protecting against HPV-16 and HPV-18 that cause 70% of cervical cancers (which fullfills your need if all you want is cervical cancer prevention jabs). The complete vaccination also contains 3 dose, 2nd dose to be taken 1 month later and the 3rd dose to be taken 5 months after the 2nd dose. The market price for each Cervarix dose is about RM220.00 which means the complete vaccination will cost RM 660.00 which is just about half the price of Gardasil. (Drug info: http://drugster.info/drug/medicament/4683)








Before getting the vaccination, here are a few questions that might pop up in most people;

The age group eligible for the vaccine is said to be from age 9 to 26 years old in the U.S. I have asked Dr. Wan about the eligible age and he did mention that age is not a concern (if I did not recall wrongly). He mentioned that the reason age was being a factor concerned is because of the affect on people from different age; take for example the outbreak of chicken pox, a more elder person might be stung with fever or possibly high fever when they had chicken pox outbreak but when a toddler was hit with the chicken pox outbreak, they might just have tiny red spots all over. Basically, the age concern is because of how a person's body is going to handle it when given the vaccine. However, you should consult your doctor about this question.

It is also mentioned that the vaccine is best taken when a person has not been sexually active yet to benefit most from the vaccine. The vaccine is most effective when a person has not been exposed to any types of HPV covered by the vaccine. However, if a person has been exposed to any one type of HPV protected by the vaccines, they can still take the vaccine to protect them against the rest of the HPV protected by the vaccines. Still, you should consult your doctor on this matter before you decide to take the vaccine.

When taking the vaccine, it is best to have each dose on the exact date of the sceduled doses to get the best out of it. However, if you have problem with your schedules, you can still take it after the dateline. Even if you have missed it by a month, or a year, it is still advisable to get all dose to complete the vaccination as it still gives you protection, maybe just not as effective.

A person (http://www.cervicalcancercampaign.org/qa/hpv-vaccine) once asked  if she should take both Gardasil and Cervarix vaccine. The answer given is; there is no need and it is not recommended to get another brand of vaccination if you have already gotten one. E.g. If you have taken Cervarix but thought that since it does not cover HPV-6 and HPV-11, you should still get  Gardasil, do not worry yourself and get another brand of vaccination. However, it is also mentioned that should you have taken the 1st and/or 2nd dose ofGardasil but the clinic has ran out of the third dose of Gardasil, you can still take the third dose of Cervarix instead. However, it is best to consult your doctor about this matter.

On the night after I got my first dose, I realise that I am having my menstrual. I began to worry a little if it is going to have any effect when I take my vaccination dose when  menstruating. I later found out that it is not a concern. It is mentioned that I can still safely receive the jab when I am menstruating.

Personally, I would recommend Cervarix as it is more affordable and it fits the requirement in protecting against HPV-16 and HPV-18 that cause 70% of cervical cancers unless you strongly feel that you need to be protected against HPV-6 and HPV-11, that cause 90% of genital warts as well, go for Gardasil.

I got my understandings from a few reliable sources that some of you may want visit and read more about HPV Vaccination. Hence, feel free to visit the below pages;


While browsing around, I have also accidentally stumble across some info which talks about the side effect of these HPV Vaccines. However, these information was dated a few years back. Hence, I believe that these vaccines are pretty safe to be taken. Should you still be interested to know what happened in the past, you could do more research yourself and also visit these page here ;


or just google "gardasil and cervarix side effect".

The reason I wrote this post is to share with everyone about the most general facts and questions about HPV Vaccines that I believe is true. Should you have any doubts or questions, you are strongly advised to consult a doctor as I do not have the legal qualifications to give my assurance on all medical facts written here.

Forsakengel.

Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment